Arts Commons – Engineered Air Theatre (EAT) Technical Coordinator
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced team player to fill the full-time position of Engineered Air Theatre (EAT) Technical Coordinator. The EAT Technical Coordinator is responsible for managing the operations within the Engineered Air Theatre, and providing production, maintenance and technical support. Reporting to the Production Manager and Technical Director, the EAT Technical Coordinator provides support to staff, management and Front-of-House teams.
About Arts Commons:
Arts Commons is a key contributor to the social, economic, cultural and intellectual life and well-being of the citizens of Calgary and are one of Canada’s largest and most vibrant arts centres. Located in the heart of Calgary’s Cultural District in the downtown core, the centre occupies a full city block and is home to five theatres and the world-class Jack Singer Concert Hall.
Each year, the centre hosts over 1,800 performances and events, including live theatre, concerts, dance productions, readings, public forums, art exhibits, and much more. The resident companies of Arts Commons including Alberta Theatre Projects, Arts Commons Presents, the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, Downstage, One Yellow Rabbit, and Theatre Calgary create, perform, and present a wide range of award-winning and highly acclaimed theatre and concerts each season. Arts Commons also houses rehearsal spaces, a costume and set construction shop, administrative offices, meeting rooms, a café, and the centralized Arts Commons Box Office.
1. The efficient and safe operation of the Engineered Air Theatre stage.
• Oversee or carry out all aspects of stage set-ups and strikes which pertain to lighting including the, design, hang, focus and operation of lights for any performance.
• Install, tune, operate and strike the audio system and video equipment as required for any event.
• Set up and strike the stage as required for any performance.
• Act as stage manager, as required by event.
2. Advancing show production requirements; both within the EAT and Jack Singer Concert Hall (JSCH)
• Contact clients and assure that their production needs are met in a timely and economic manner.
• Venue representative on the day of the advanced shows
• Responsible for booking any required additional rental technical equipment.
• As required, settle stage labour bills with show production designate on the day of the show.
3. Plan work schedules for all technical crews as required by events
• Plan in coordination with the Jack Singer Concert Hall Calling Steward work schedules for casual stagehands working in the theatre.
4. Act as Department Head in Jack Singer Concert Hall as required
• Act as Head of Stage & Video in the Jack Singer Concert Hall as required.
• Act as Head of Stage, Lights & Sound for Jack Singer Concert Hall Lobby, Arts Learning Studio and Centre Court as required.
5. Responsible for the maintenance of all stage equipment and technical assets in the EAT
• Schedule and perform regular maintenance of all equipment in the Stage, Lighting and Sound Departments
• Maintain a tidy, clean and safe environment in the EAT Technical Office and EAT Theatre
Applicants should have a relevant diploma/undergraduate degree, or an equivalent to 3 to 5 years’ education and work experience that includes theatre, sound, lighting, carpentry, rigging and stage management. Other desired skills and qualifications include:
• Experience in a road house environment
• Experience in Production, including:
o Preparation of cost estimates
o Preparation of schedules
o Management of casual crews
• Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
• A passion for the arts!
This position has a 40-hour work-week, occasional evening and weekend work may be required. A competitive compensation package, including extended health benefits, is offered.
To apply, please forward your resume in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please. We thank all interested applicants in advance, but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.