Arts Commons – Presenting Associate
An exceptional opportunity for experienced, career-minded arts administrators. The Presenting Associate will work in the Programming department to manage the day to day business and advancing of all presenting activities for Arts Commons Presents. This one-of-a-kind position is best suited for candidates who thrive in a fast-paced professional artistic environment.
The position will project manage a wide variety of presentations and departmental administrative duties. You will work closely with our marketing, development, ticketing services, venue operations and finance teams; as well as a wide variety of artists, agents and managers. Our series include TD Jazz, BD&P World Music, National Geographic LIVE, Classic Albums LIVE, and PCL Blues plus special projects and events. The Presenting Associate also works in regular collaboration with Arts Commons Education, Producing and Engagement, and Visual and Media Arts.
Best suited for those who are socially and culturally aware, have a passion for facilitating creative expression and are seeking a challenging and fulfilling career in the arts. You understand that dynamic arts, culture and organizations are supported by amazing administrators and your combined experience thus far is ready for the opportunity to shine.
Reporting to the Director of Programming, primary responsibilities will include:
• Contractual, administrative and project management for all Arts Commons presenting activities
• Curatorial assistance focusing on local artists and presenting related programs
• Tracking, measuring and reporting on progress of presenting related programs
• Financial oversight of the day to day presenting activities, including estimates, show budget expenses and reconciliations
• Fulfills community outreach and impact initiatives for presenting
• Works closely and collaboratively with organizational and industry colleagues
Applicants require a minimum 5 years in a presenting or arts administrative role, an arts or business degree or diploma is beneficial. Primary traits required: a natural collaborator, self-aware, detail-oriented and passionate about developing a career in the arts and music industries. A varied knowledge of the Calgary cultural scene and curatorial experience are significant assets.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to juggle competing priorities
• Excellent internal and external customer service skills
• Excellent knowledge of excel, MS word and excel, and ability to navigate databases and workflow tools
• Intermediate financial knowledge, the ability to budget and reconcile accurately, track, report, consolidate, analyze and use accounting systems and software
• Able to assimilate new information and evolve as situations change
• Flexible and adaptable with the insight and ability to accommodate as needed
• Able to work on the go, moving around within office/venue environments with extended hours for performance days
• Excellent self-motivator and time manager
This position is a salaried management role preferring but not limited to a 40-hour work-week and will require programmatic evening and weekend work. A competitive compensation package, including extended health benefits, is offered.
About Arts Commons:
Arts Commons is an inspirational gathering place for all Calgarians and visitors, where creativity is expressed daily – in immersive and engaging ways. A place, both physical and metaphorical, that stimulates the senses, triggers emotions, challenges assumptions, starts conversations and opens minds. Welcoming over 600,000 visitors a year, Arts Commons is a key contributor to the social, economic, cultural and intellectual life and well-being of the citizens of Calgary.
To apply, please forward your resume in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Applicants will be contacted for interviews after Monday, March 25, 2019
Start date: Flexible late April – early May 2019
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please. We thank all interested applicants in advance, but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.