Arts Commons – Production Manager
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced team player to fill the full-time position of Production Manager. The Production Manager is responsible for the day to day management of the Jack Singer Concert Hall and Engineered Air Theatre, and oversight of the Production Department. Reporting to the Director, Venue Operations, the Production Manager provides leadership and support to both staff and management teams.
About Arts Commons:
Arts Commons is a key contributor to the social, economic, cultural and intellectual life and well-being of the citizens of Calgary and are one of Canada’s largest and most vibrant arts centres. Located in the heart of Calgary’s Cultural District in the downtown core, the centre occupies a full city block and is home to five theatres and the world-class Jack Singer Concert Hall.
Each year, the centre hosts over 1,800 performances and events, including live theatre, concerts, dance productions, readings, public forums, art exhibits, and much more. The resident companies of Arts Commons including Alberta Theatre Projects, Arts Commons Presents, Calgary International Children’s Festival, the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, Downstage, One Yellow Rabbit, and Theatre Calgary create, perform, and present a wide range of award-winning and highly acclaimed theatre and concerts each season. Arts Commons also houses rehearsal spaces, a costume and set construction shop, administrative offices, meeting rooms, a café, and the centralized Arts Commons Box Office.
1. Planning, managing and analysis of Production Department Operations budget
• Plan yearly Production Department Operations budget in consultation with Director, Venue Operations
• Distribute and manage annual departmental budgets to the Heads of Stage, Lights and Sound departments
• Monthly analysis and reporting as required by Finance Department
• Plan annual piano and organ maintenance
2. Supervision of Production Department
• Complete annual Performance Reviews
• Process weekly Production Department technicians’ timesheets
• Resolve any Production Department staff member’s concerns regarding workplace conflicts and initial benefits and payroll concerns
3. Ensure Federal, Provincial and industry standard safety regulations are respected
• Knowledge of current government labour legislation
• Knowledge of current industry stage safety standards
4. Approve all Jack Singer Concert Hall and Engineered Air Theatre stage labour bills
• Process all vendor purchase orders in a timely manner
• Weekly complete all stage labour bills within the schedule set by Finance Department
5. Advance technical details for shows in the Jack Singer Concert Hall
• Represent the venue and negotiate with event presenters, both professional and community, to ensure their artistic vision matches their budget
• Set stage crew schedule, adhering to Salaried House Technicians Agreement of Employment
• Relay all technical information for events to the house technicians
• Chair regularly scheduled Production Department meetings with Jack Singer Concert Hall, Engineered Air Theatre technicians and the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra’s Production Manager
• When required by the Director, Facility Operations, act as Project Lead on Capital Replacement Fund (CRF) projects
• Collaborate with Bookings, Ticketing, Event Services, Facilities and Security teams to ensure the highest standards of concert production and presentation
• Other duties as assigned
Applicants should be a graduate of a theatre program at a recognized university or college, and have 4-6 years’ management experience with increasing responsibilities in a theatre, concert hall or multi-venue facility (Post-Secondary education in Arts, Public or Business Administration would be an asset). Other desired skills and qualifications include:
• Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and relevant software applications including ArtsVision, ReQlogic, CAD or Vectorworks.
• Excellent interpersonal, time management, decisive problem solving and analytical skills
• Strong negotiating and mediating skills in an environment with multiple and potentially competing needs
• Stage Management experience managing large work crews
• Have sound working knowledge of all elements of productions applicable to all areas of performing arts
This position has a 40-hour work-week, with irregular hours, weekend and evening work required. A competitive compensation package, including extended health benefits, is offered.
To apply, please forward your resume in confidence to:
205 - 8th Ave SE Calgary, Alberta T2G 0K9
Please state the position you are applying for. No phone calls please. We thank all interested applicants in advance, but will only be contacting those selected for an interview.